Revised: September 22, 2022
At Tax Analysts we understand the importance of protecting your personal information, and we are committed to safeguarding your privacy online. This policy describes the types of information Tax Analysts (“Tax Analysts” or “We”) may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit our website (our "Site") and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies only to information we collect:
- From visitors to our website, www.taxnotes.com (Site).
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and Tax Analysts, including, for example, when you register or subscribe to certain products or services, create a profile, or use an interactive feature.
- Through mobile and desktop applications you download from this Site, which provide dedicated non-browser-based interaction between you and Tax Analysts.
- Through our platforms when you use Tax Analysts services, for example to email Site content to third parties.
This policy does not apply to information collected by Tax Analysts offline or through any other means, or from any third party.
What Information We Collect. When you subscribe to and use Tax Analysts products online, we will receive information about you. How much and what kind of information depends on how you use the Site and our products.
Non-Personal Information and Aggregated Information.
This information does not by itself identify a specific individual. As you navigate through and interact with our Site, we may automatically collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Site, as well as information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
The information we collect automatically is statistical data and typically aggregated with other data to help us improve our Site. It also helps us deliver a better and more personalized service by (for example) enabling us to store information about your preferences, and to recognize you when you return to our Site.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Site may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on our Site. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies.
- Web Beacons. Pages of our Site may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that permit Tax Analysts, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
- Log File Information. Log file information is automatically reported by your browser or mobile application each time you access our Site. For example, when you access our Site, our servers automatically record certain information sent by your web browser, such as your operating system, browser type, referring and exit pages, number of clicks, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information. We do not automatically link this automatically collected data to any personally identifiable information.
Personally Identifiable Information (Personal Data).
Personally identifiable information (your “Personal Data”) tells us specifics about who you are, such as your name, your email address, your postal address, and your telephone number. When you register, or order a product or service through our Site, submit content, or post to a discussion, we will ask for certain information about you such as your first and last name.
We collect Personal Data directly from you when you provide it to us, such as:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Site. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our Site, subscribing to our service, posting material, or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our Site.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Site and of the fulfillment of your orders. You may be required to provide financial information, such as credit card information and other billing information, to our third-party payment processor before placing an order through our Site. This information will only be shared with third parties who help to complete the purchase transaction. Examples of this include fulfilling orders and processing credit card payments.
- Your search queries on the Site.
- You also may provide information to be published or displayed ("posted") on public areas of the Site, or transmitted to other users of the Site or third parties (collectively, "User Contributions"). Your User Contributions are posted and transmitted to others at your own risk. Any information you disclose in your User Contributions may be used by Tax Analysts for online and offline promotional or commercial uses in any and all media. If you choose to engage in User Contributions, you should be aware that any personal information you submit can be read, collected, and used by other users of these areas. We are not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to submit in the course of your User Contributions, and we have no responsibility to publish, take down, remove, or edit any of your User Contributions.
- We often receive information about attendees to our live events from sign-in and registration lists. We may share this information with event or promotion sponsors, in which case we will notify you when we collect the information.
Tax Analysts will retain Personal Data only for as long as your user account is active and Tax Analysts has an obligation to provide you with access to our publications, or for as long as we need your Personal Data to fulfill the purpose(s) for which it was originally collected, unless otherwise required by law. We will retain and use the information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any Personal Data:
- To present our Site and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To communicate with you regarding products or services that may be of interest to you, provided you have not opted-out of receiving this type of information.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide you with notices about your account or subscription, including expiration and renewal notices.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to our Site or any products or services we offer or provide through it.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Site.
- We also use this information to customize certain features of the Site to provide you with an enhanced experience based on the type of device you are using to access the Site, and in certain cases, to provide you with requested services.
- In any other way we may describe, and you may specifically consent to, when you provide the information.
Tax Analysts processes Personal Data as both a Data Controller and a Data Processor, as defined in the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”)
Tax Analysts may disclose Personal Data if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with applicable laws, in response to a facially valid court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant, or to otherwise cooperate with law enforcement or other governmental agencies.
We also reserve the right to disclose Personal Data or other information that we believe, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to (i) take precautions against liability, (ii) protect ourselves or others from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses or activity, (iii) investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations, (iv) protect the security or integrity of the Service and any facilities or equipment used to make the Service available, or (v) protect our property or other legal rights, enforce our contracts, or protect the rights, property, or safety of others.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users that does not identify any individual without restriction.
- If your subscription is provided in whole or in part by your employer or other third party, we may notify the provider when you access or use your subscription. When providing these notices, we may reveal limited amounts of your Personal Data such as your name or email address.
- To a third party, if you use our Site to email one of our articles or documents to that third party.
- To allow third-party service providers to assist us in providing and managing our services. We may make your Personal Data available to certain third-party service providers, such as contractors or agents, who help us manage or provide our products and services by, for example: developing or supporting products and features; sending email messages on our behalf; processing payments; fulfilling orders; delivering subscriptions; auditing; and processing data or statistics. These outside service providers are required to protect Personal Data entrusted to them and not use it for any other purpose than the specific service they are providing to us.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Tax Analysts’ assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Data held by Tax Analysts about our Site users is among the assets transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
We may also disclose your Personal Data:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Tax Analysts, our customers, or others.
Accessing, Correcting, or Deleting Your Information
You can review and change some of your personal information by logging into the Site and visiting your “My Profile” page. You may change some of the information from that page. We will help you change incorrect information. Please contact email@example.com to request any changes.
We may retain all information you submit for backups, archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, analytics, or satisfaction of legal obligations, or where we otherwise reasonably believe that we have a legitimate reason to do so.
Please Note: You will not be able to access our Site or receive our services if you completely delete your Personal Data.
You may also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to, correct, or delete any Personal Data you have provided to us. If you receive commercial emails from us, you may unsubscribe at any time by following the instructions contained within the email or by sending an email to the address provided in the “How to Contact Us” section. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
Children Under the Age of 13
Our Site is not intended for children under 13 years of age and is not targeted toward children. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Site that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please write us at the address at Contact Information, below.
Tax Analysts uses commercially reasonable, technical, and physical measures to safeguard Personal Data in its possession against loss, theft, and unauthorized use or disclosure. However, no one can guarantee the complete safety of your information. The safety and security of your Personal Data also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we make efforts to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Site. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Site.
Tax Analysts Sub-processors for Tax Notes Website
Last verified June 27, 2022
A list of Sub-processors currently authorized by Tax Analysts to process Customer Data and assist Tax Analysts with respect to the provision of the applicable services under the Tax Analysts Terms & Conditions.
|Sub-Processor Entity||Brief Description of Processing||Entity Location|
|Amazon Web Services, Inc.||Provides Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) inclusive of tooling and services to manage cloud resources.||Principal Office:
410 Terry Avenue North
Seattle, WA 98109-5210
Data Center Regions:
|Domo||Business, website and customer analytics||Domo
772 East Utah Valley Drive
American Fork, UT 84003
|Non-user identifiable website analytics.||Google
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043
|Oracle – NetSuite||Provides Software-as-a-Service (Saas) tools for account/user management.||Oracle
500 Oracle Parkway
Redwood Shores, CA 94065
|SendGrid||Provides email delivery services for customers.||SendGrid, Inc.
1801 California St., Suite 500
Denver, CO 80202
400 S. Maple Ave.
Falls Church, VA 22046
Attn: Emily Vanderweide
If you remain dissatisfied, you have the right to apply directly to the Chief Information Officer (CIO) at Tax Analysts for a decision. The CIO can be contacted at:
400 S. Maple Ave.
Falls Church, VA 22046
Attn: Chief Information Officer